Turner Hall

WAshington
Franklin County

Located in downtown Washington, the property known as Turner Hall is a complex of buildings consisting of the Washington Turnverein Hall, the former Puchta Saloon and the former Washington Elks Lodge #1559. The earliest part of the complex, the Washington Turnverein Hall (Turner Hall), a one-story brick building whose design is credited to noted local architect, Otto Brix, served as a community meeting place for a wide variety of activities including gymnastic events, dramatic productions, cultural debates and high school graduations. In 1997, the City of Washington purchased the property and plans to demolish the complex for parking unless a suitable use for the buildings can be found.

Listed in 2002.

Leave a Reply