The 2021 Honor Awards announcement was made virtually on Tuesday, June 8th. In lieu of our annual celebration at the Capitol in Jefferson City, Interim-Director Riley Price delivered the awards to the recipients across the state and recorded their remarks for us to share.
- The Rozier Award
- Osmund Overby Award
- The McReynolds Awards
- Preserve Missouri Awards
- 2021 Honor Awards Sponsors
The Rozier Award
St. Charles, St. Charles County
Tom Kuypers has spent close to three decades helping to preserve Missouri’s historic resources. From 1990 to 1994, he served on the Missouri State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation. He re-joined the council in 2005 and remains an active member. As a member of the Advisory Council, he was involved with the approval of over 900 properties on the National Register of Historic Places. Tom has also served as a member of the St. Charles County Historic Advisory Board and a board member for the St. Charles County Historical Society. He aided in the establishment of historic design guidelines for the Midtown Community Association, the national register historic district where he lives, and also served as the association’s president for a time. He was the Task Force Chairman for Joint City-Corporate Endeavor, a study by Ameren to relocate overhead powerlines that were causing frequent and long outages, belowground in historically sensitive areas of St. Charles. This project culminated in a $1 million grant to the City to accommodate these powerlines underground. He also prepared a draft proposal leading to the establishment of the Trail of Tears State Park and was involved with the final proposal to integrate the Trail of Tears State Park with the Trail of Tears National Park. Tom has also spent a total of 19 years on the St. Charles Historic Landmarks Preservation and Architectural Review Board and currently serves as Vice-Chair. He and his wife, Patricia, purchased the historic Oliver L. and Catherine Link House in 1984, had it listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and have painstakingly restored and preserved the home’s historic integrity for 37 years. Missouri Preservation would like to thank Mr. Kuypers for his dedication to historic preservation in both St. Charles and the State of Missouri for these many years.
Osmund Overby Award
Historic Main Street Tour — Special Business District Board of the City of St. Charles
St. Charles, St. Charles County
The digital Historic Main Street Tour of St. Charles is the culmination of years of work by the St. Charles Special Business District Board. The Special Business District Board is responsible for maintaining the city’s historic main street. A historic consultant was hired to write the history of the 150 buildings that line the street. This information was compiled with historic photographs onto an interactive ArcGIS story map. The map can be used remotely, or visitors to the downtown can access the map in real-time to find information about the buildings around them. This project was funded by the Special Business District Board, which operates through a Business District Tax and Licensing Fee. A full list of those involved with the project can be found along with the map at https://arcg.is/1qqHzn0
The McReynolds Awards
Kansas City Museum Rehabilitation
Kansas City, Jackson County
The 1910 beaux-arts mansion of lumber baron of R. A. Long, known as Corinthian Hall, became associated with the Kansas City Museum name in 1939. While many of the historic fixtures and furnishings were removed by Long’s children, that did not stop the museum from undertaking a momentous restoration of the remaining historic materials. Construction on the project began in 2017. All of the original wood floors on the 1st floor were restored, with repairs made using what materials remained on the upper floors. Plaster repairs were made and missing ornaments were replicated by casting the originals that remain. Gold leaf was repaired and reapplied to these features in the Salon. All the paint in the main rooms with existing historic fabric were tested and painted to match the original colors. Existing chandeliers and wall sconces were cleaned, refurbished and rewired to meet current standards then reinstalled in their original locations. Original wood paneling saved in the archives was installed along a wall in the dining room, which retained none of its original fabric, and returned some of the historic character back to the space. A removal of a radiator in the entry area near the main staircase revealed original plaster color and texture, allowed the area to be refinished to match the original design and pattern made to look like large stones. As a museum, certain rooms which didn’t retain historic features, were retrofitted with perimeter insulation, vapor barriers and other humidity controlling measures to protect artifacts. The restored and renovated Kansas City Museum will provide the opportunity to present and showcase materials from its vast collection of over 100,000 artifacts through exhibitions, media and interactives, education and public programs, special events and other installations. The renovation was funded by a dedicated museum levy, public improvement dollars, and 6 million in private donations and ensures this historic community asset will continue to serve the public for many years.
Carthage Historic Preservation — The Sweet House
Carthage, Jasper County
In 2015, a small group of dedicated preservationists in Carthage, Missouri decided to purchase the oldest home in the city — the Sweet House. The buyers donated the property to Carthage Historic Preservation (CHP) and challenged the organization to put their mission of demonstrating “period-appropriate historic preservation techniques, and to educate [the] community about the economic, ecological, and cultural benefits of historic preservation,” into action. Board member, Judy Goff, led the charge in turning the Sweet House into a “preservation laboratory.” Two hands-on training workshops were hosted by CHP to restore the historic windows of the Sweet House while also educating preservationists on the proper practices of historic window restoration. The house was rewired, and new plumbing and HVAC was installed. Local high school tech center students were also invited to install the house’s drywall, teaching valuable vocational skills and encouraging future restoration of other properties in the community. The final touches were added to the project in March 2021 and the home was sold to a young preservation a week after the project’s completion. Missouri Preservation applauds Carthage Historic Preservation not only for saving and restoring this historic resource, but for educating the community and passing on an appreciation of historic preservation to the next generation.
William Oldenhoener Home
Jackson, Cape Girardeau County
William Oldenhoener, a German immigrant and mason, built the house at 402 East Adams Street in Jackson, Missouri around 1893. He utilized the German vernacular style in its construction, including a balanced facade, stone foundation, arched lintels over doors and windows and corbelled cornices of brick. The L-shape home was built into the hillside and designed to work with the landscape, not alter it. Greg and Caroline Yielding started the restoration process in 2015, saving it from impending demolition. Most of the home had to be cleared down to the brick walls and repairs started from the bottom up, fixing water issues in the basement and pouring a new concrete floor. The original windows were restored and the remaining hardware, including original doorknobs and locks, were cleaned and repaired. New gas lines, electrical plumbing and HVAC was installed not only for safety but to protect the house from further deterioration. A poorly constructed, rear addition was removed and rebuilt to better integrate with the original home and utilized historic doors and fixtures found in the area. The home’s newest owner, Sara Appel, has plans to rebuild the chimneys based on historic photographs. She is also working with friends in Germany and performing research to create a garden and landscaping reminiscent of what a German immigrant might have had.
Preserve Missouri Awards
Hotel Kansas City
Kansas City, Jackson County
In 2016, MFH Properties, LLC embarked on a rehabilitation project using state and federal historic tax credits to convert the former Kansas City Club building into the Hotel Kansas City under the Hyatt banner. Constructed between 1918 and 1922 as a clubhouse for the Kansas City Club, an exclusive organization for the city’s business and civic leaders, the building originally contained exceptionally appointed common spaces for dining, entertaining and recreation, as well as multiple floors of private sleeping rooms. Previous renovations converted the upper half of the building into market rate apartments, rehabilitated most of the dining/entertainment spaces on the lower floors, and converted the top-floor apartments into a rooftop event space. In the conversion to hotel, the project retained and refreshed the opulent gathering and entertainment spaces, specifically the lobby and multiple ballrooms with their ornate wood paneling and plaster ceilings, intricate wood ornament and stained-glass windows. The primary work focused on reconfiguring the upper floors as hotel rooms, including the Walnut Room on the sixth floor and former swimming pool on the thirteenth floor. In these two spaces, the dominant historic finishes (wood paneling and ornate ceramic tile, respectively) were retained and incorporated into the design of the hotel rooms. Historic partitions and finishes had been removed during the previous conversion to apartments, leaving no historic materials to preserve during this project. This allowed the developer some flexibility in creating an optimal configuration and selecting modern finishes for the hotel rooms. MFH Properties, LLC stunning transformation preserved most of the signature spaces within the building while implementing a new compatible use that now contributes to the vibrant redevelopment of the area.
Netherland Hotel & Residences
Kansas City, Jackson County
The historic Netherland Hotel was built in 1927 as The Tocama and began as two identical structures, combined before completion into one building. It functioned as an apartment/hotel until 1981 when it was sold to be transformed into an apartment complex for the elderly. Exact Partners acquired the site in 2017 after years of slow decay and utilized abatement and PIEA construction bond funds, as well as state and federal historic tax credits, to rehabilitate the structure. Work began on the exterior first to ensure remaining façade elements were stabilized, as some of the ornamental terra cotta was falling to the sidewalk below. These terra cotta details were restored, the masonry tuckpointed and the windows replaced with historic replicas. The interior was reconfigured back to the historic corridor layouts. Crown molding in the corridors, elevator lobbies, stairwells and ground floor were replicated as well as cast iron stair tower railings, balusters and newel posts. The remaining terrazzo on the ground floor was also restored. The Netherland now features 118 studio and one-bedroom units as well as a rooftop restaurant and bar. This successful renovation is leading the way in revitalization efforts in Midtown Kansas City.
W. A. Pickering Mansion
Kansas City, Jackson County
The W. A. Pickering Mansion was a significant piece of Kansas City history that was at risk of being lost when Eric and Jane Piper purchased it in 2011. The 1910, 7500 square foot mansion and carriage house had been converted to as many as 16 apartments in the late 1950s. A subsequent owner removed non-historic additions, gutted and reframed the original interior wall locations, salvaged wood trim, light fixtures and hardware before stopping work. For ten years the house stood vacant and exposed to the elements. When the Pipers purchased the house with intent to restore, as much as 80% of the original fabric had been removed. Remaining materials were integrated seamlessly with the new. The grand staircase was rebuilt using the few remaining pieces as guides. Original doors, windows and hardware were restored throughout, supplemented with salvaged and custom pieces built to match. Exterior renovations required scaffolding twice: first for the restoration of all the wood windows, eaves, brackets and trim which were stripped down to bare wood, patched, and repaired or replaced as needed; and second for the restoration of the masonry, which included patching and replacement with salvaged brick, stripping tar and paint, cleaning, custom fabricating missing stone window and door surrounds, balusters, and re-pointing with custom mixed mortar. Missing details were replaced utilizing historic photos for guides. A new geothermal heating and cooling system was installed with various other energy saving devices. All old growth lumber was salvaged and repurposed as needed. No dumpster was ever allowed on site with almost all of the construction waste being recycled instead. Utilizing Missouri Historic Tax Credits, this project removed the one remaining blighted property on the historic Janssen Place and proved that the greenest building is the one already built.
Kansas City, Jackson County
Designed in 1972 and built in 1974, the Executive Plaza Office Building was affectionately nicked named the “Flashcube” by the public. An abstract reflective glass curtainwall encloses the rectangular building, epitomizing the Late-Modern architectural style as an ultimate expression of the Modern Movement curtain wall. This served as the primary argument for significance for the National Register nomination, clearing the 50-year age hurtle normally required for listing. With this challenge passed, Worcester Investments initiated a rehabilitation project utilizing both state and federal historic tax credits to convert this office building into a mixed-use office and residential tower. While the building was in generally good condition, the curtain wall had numerous panels with broken glass or seals that allowed moisture to infiltrate the insulated glazing units. Previous efforts to spot-replace broken glazing fell short of creating a true match to the original glass, which had faded over time and adding yet another type of glazing would further compromise the building’s primary character-defining feature. The developer proposed to replace the glass in its entirety with new panels that matched the historic insulated glazing units, which was then detailed in the proposed treatment for the historic tax credit application. This required an innovative approach to the Secretary of Interior Standards for Rehabilitation to address an application of materials unique to the mid-to-late twentieth century — restoring the entire façade cladding was deemed more important than “losing” extant historic materials. Interior modifications recreated signature historic components, created contemporary living spaces and provided unique amenities. Mirrored ceiling tiles, similar to the original finish, we installed in the lobby. An indoor soccer field and state-of-the-art lounge fill the previously empty basement and an indoor rock wall, basketball court, and volleyball court fill the former sunken storage building beneath the main plaza. This successful rehabilitation of a vacant office building solidifies the importance that historic preservation and adaptive reuse can apply to modern structures as well.
St. Joseph, Buchanan County
Before occupation by American Electric in the 1950s, the 7-story building at the corner of North 3rd Street and Jules Street in downtown St. Joseph was built to house the John D. Richardson Dry Goods Company. Built in two phases (1892 and 1917), the building as occupied until 2010. In 2017, Sky Real Estate and Sunflower Development Group, teamed up to rehabilitate the vacant structure into loft-style residential units. Using state and federal historic tax credits, the project retained many of the character0definiing features and historic materials. Decorative features, such as the distinctive arched wood windows on the primary elevations, were retained and restored as well as the elaborate carved sandstone and brickwork ornaments on the otherwise simple façade. The building’s grand formal entrance at the southeast corner, with large wood paneled doors and wood storefronts, was retained and restored. The historic volume of the space is retained through the historic wood ceilings, structural columns and exposed brick walls throughout. One and two-bedroom units line the perimeter of the building on all seven floors while the central core contains the circulations systems, as it did historically. A historic wood stair remains in use and the first floor and ground floor contain several amenity spaces as well as commercial tenant spaces. Sky Real Estate and Sunflower Development Group’s successful rehabilitation of this sizeable warehouse building has brought much needed residential units to downtown St. Joseph, one of the first steps in creating a vibrant urban community.
Western Auto Store
Moberly, Randolph County
Constructed in 1908, the Western Auto Store in the Downtown Moberly Historic District has served numerous businesses in the nearly 110 years it has been around. The building was remodeled many times over the years by the tenants, and a fire in a neighboring building caused heavy smoke and water damage. By late 2017, the building was sitting vacant, and much of its historic character was concealed under layers of modern materials. Luckily for the building and downtown Moberly, local businessman Matt Brownfield had recently decided to try his hand at historic redevelopment, and utilized both federal and Missouri historic tax credits to rehabilitate the building. What seemed to be a solid building when the project began soon revealed a number of significant structural deficiencies and other challenges. Movement along the front of the building had created a large crack in the front masonry and the tall side parapet wall was tilting and unstable. A few months into the rehab, workers arrived on site to find that large numbers of brick were falling off of the long sidewall and onto the sidewalk below. Closer investigation showed that much of the face bricks on that wall had to be taken down and reinstalled. Removal of non-historic storefront infill revealed rusted iron support posted that had to be repaired or replaced altogether. Ground floor commercial spaces sported nicely intact pressed metal ceiling above the drop ceiling panels, and one of the two retail spaces had an elaborate tile mosaic floor that was covered with ugly modern carpeting. The tall covered over window openings on the long side wall were found to contain intact wood windows. Today the finished building features three commercial spaces on the ground floor and spacious apartments on the second floor. Modern mechanical systems were carefully integrated in the building to have minimum impact on the historic spaces. The commercial spaces feature beautifully restored metal ceilings, with historic tile flooring in one unit and restored hardwood flooring in the others. Apartments feature tall windows, wood floors and salvaged wood and glass doors. All spaces are rented and the building once again contributes to the economic vitality of downtown Moberly.
Neosho, Newton County
The McGinty Building on the corner of East Main and South Wood Streets in downtown Neosho was built ca. 1895. At the time that the Neosho Commercial Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the McGinty Building was noted as “non-contributing” due to the metal sheathing that had been installed on the building in the seventies. In 2008 that sheathing was removed and the building’s status was changed to “contributing” in 2009. Little work was done on the structure until 2017 when local attorney, David Sims, made plans for a full rehabilitation of the vacant building. Exterior work included reopening the original transom areas above the storefronts and removing ca. 1970s brick veneer from the long side wall. A vintage mural found beneath that brick veneer was retained and restored. The existing 1930s metal framed storefronts and prism glass transoms were restored. Most of the early 1/1 wood windows on the second floor were also kept and repaired. Interior work included removing multiple layers of modern finishes on the ground floor and restoring fire damaged plaster and millwork on the second floor. Today the storefront houses a medical practice and the second floor contains six apartments, all of which are now rented. This successful restoration returns the McGinty Building as an anchor to the south side of the Neosho Public Square.
St. Louis City
The Georgian site was originally home to the St. Louis City Hospital, started in 1845, and over the years many of the structures have been converted. The remaining 4 vacant buildings making up The Georgian project date between 1907 and 1940, each with their own historic character, now contain 74 new apartments. The Commissioner Building (1907) was used as offices for hospital administrators. It’s remaining historic entry and decorative elements were restored, and the apartment layout integrated into the original office layout and massing. The Clinic Building (1921), part of the main hospital, had little historic fabric to restore. The Garage Building (1921), previously used as a shop for hospital ambulances, retained its open, industrial layout and feature the large monitor above. The entire original roof wood decking needed to be rebuilt upon the existing steel trusses which were retained and provide the space with its openness. Once the hospital cafeteria, the Service Building (1940) retained the existing salvaged terrazzo, which was restored, concrete beams and glazed tile block. A new opening to access the lower floor was installed beneath the restored monitor, allowing natural light into the basement level. Scarring to the exterior south façade, left from the removal of the ancillary building in the 1970s, was painted but left to emphasize what was once there. This restoration successfully returned the remaining four vacant structures on the historic St. Louis City Hospital Campus to the growing revitalization in the south city area.
Thunderbird Lodge CCC
De Soto, Jefferson County
Built in the 1930s by Civilian Conservation Corps African American Company No. 1743, Thunderbird Lodge originally served as a dining hall. Today it serves as a welcoming center and store for visitors to Washington State Park. The original CCC camp was christened Camp Thunderbird after the Native American petroglyphs nearby, and the thunderbird symbol was incorporated into aspects of the lodge’s construction, including the building’s stone chimney and handmade iron door locking mechanisms. Damage from the 2017 flood set restoration in motion. Multiple renovation projects over the years left the building with a hodgepodge of styles and functions and paid little attention to historic details. Three of the four sets of original double doors were fully restored, the wood stripped and refinished, and new glazing installed. Original door hardware, specially crafted for the lodge featuring the Thunderbird motif, were cleaned and refurbished. All four of the door handle sets featuring a woman and man interlocking arms had significant damage and were missing parts. Utilizing the original set of drawings, these handles were duplicated with iron materials. Custom storm doors were created, taking inspiration from historic photos, to replace 1980s additions. The heavy timber doorframes were shored using dutchman repairs with new wood to match the original. Historic replica windows were made, the original hardware salvaged, refurbished and reinstalled. Another 80s renovation covered the fireplace in stacked stone and stucco; new Missouri quarried stone, similar in color and appearance to the exterior was installed maintaining the size and dimension of the original. A new hardwood mantel was created to match similar mantels around the park. New wood wainscoting was installed to replace the water damaged existing ones; a second bathroom was added, and both received updated finishes and fixtures. Ceramic tile flooring was installed throughout to withstand potential future flooding. A new wood shake roof, matching original in dimensions and reveals, was installed, along with new gutters and downspouts. Stonework was cleaned and mortar joints were repointed, and special attention was given to cleaning the hand carved Thunderbird motif at the entrance. The successful restoration of Thunderbird Lodge ensures it will remain to educate future visitors about the park’s history while also providing Washington State Park with a modern space that is functional for their current needs.
Du-Good Chemical Laboratory Building
St. Louis City
When Matt and Tiffany Kettner purchased the property at 1215 S. Jefferson in late 2015, they were simply looking for a space to house their growing roofing and construction company. What they uncovered were the important contributions made by the previous owner, pioneering African-American chemist Dr. Lincoln I. Diuguid, starting with remaining artifacts from the old chemical laboratory in the building and ending with contacting the Vashon Museum and Dr. Diuguid’s sons. The Kettner’s started by nominating the former Du-Good Chemical Laboratory to the National Register of Historic Places, which made the building eligible for both state and federal historic tax credits which would be needed to make all of the necessary repairs and renovations in the building. Kettner took special pains to ensure features of the building from both Diuguid’s tenure in the building, as well as the building’s original use as a veterinary infirmary, were retained and restored. The large, round arched carriage openings were repaired and the original doors rehung; all original doors found throughout were also kept and restored, including the heavy wood doors that spanned across the animal stall wing in the back of the lot. The original cobblestone floor in the carriage lane and through the building was restored. Glass cabinets in the front of the first-floor office were cleaned up to showcase items left behind by Dr. Diuguid. New wood windows were installed where necessary to match the originals. A private office was created on the rear of the second floor, leaving the original front portion of the building where the laboratory was located open as it was historically. The walls and ceilings in this area were re-plastered and missing trim was replicated. A kitchenette and some cubicles were installed in what had originally been animal stalls, and what Dr. Diuguid had used to assembling and packaging space. The Kettner’s efforts to restore this historic building has not only contributed to redevelopment the local community, but has also preserved the important history and contributions made by Dr. Diuguid.
Olive + Oak, Tate Motor Company Building
Webster Groves, St. Louis County
The building at 216 West Lockwood in Webster Groves was constructed in 1926 to house the Tate Motor Company, a distributor of Dodge motor cars. While it had many owners throughout its history, the building retained an automotive/garage use until it was vacated in 2019 and the current owners purchased it with the creative vision to expand their award-winning Olive + Oak restaurant. Utilizing state and federal historic tax credits, the owners addressed several challenging projects including window restoration and seismic reinforcement. The front of the building houses Olive + Oak Restaurant. An event space and a brew pub occupy the historic garage area. A new mezzanine level provides a dramatic view across the event space, featuring the restored monitor and exposed roof trusses. The rehabilitation emphasized preservation of the character-defining features that are unique to historic automotive buildings. The historic showrooms at the front of the building were converted to new dining rooms that take advantage of the large display windows that were restored, as well as the decorative terrazzo tile floor. A historic internal drive that led from the street to the garage behind the showrooms became a separate dining room with tall ceilings. This rehabilitation has successfully returned a unique historic resource to use in the heart of downtown Webster Groves.
2021 Honor Awards Sponsors
Stark Wilson Duncan Architects, Inc
Neal Group Construction
Green Street St. Louis