St. Louis County
A community outcry against demolition of two important buildings on the campus of the University of Missouri-St. Louis has caused this nomination to Missouri’s Most Endangered Historic Places. The first is at 2800 Normandy Drive and is currently known as Normandie Hall. This building is on the former estate of James H. Lucas, one of the original settlers to the area. Originally a convent for the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, it was constructed in 1922 and used by the Sisters until 1992 when sold to the University of Missouri. The University utilized the building first as on-campus housing, then as the Honors College center, then as a conference center, before vacating a few years ago. The other building is currently known as the Alumni Center. Located at 7956 Natural Bridge Road, the house is a substantial Mediterranean style house built of all masonry construction in 1927. The exterior features stone, and red brick as well as a green glazed tile roof. Interior features include arched leaded glass windows, French doors, decorative plaster walls and molding and terrazzo floors throughout. The University vacated the Alumni Center and maintains that it is too costly to renovate. Given the strong community support shown for the preservation of these buildings, the University has agreed to stave off demolition to see if suitable owners can be found to renovate and again occupy these buildings. We hope that by naming them to the list of Most Endangered Historic Places, purchasers interested in renovation and repurposing of these buildings might be identified.
Update: May 29, 2015 — Demolition prep began at the Normandie Hall/Incarnate Word Convent. There is another ONLINE PETITION to halt the demolition.
Update: October 29, 2020 — PLANS FOR REDEVELOPMENT AT INCARNATE WORD.