Jefferson City, Missouri
Located down the hill from the Missouri Capitol Building and within feet of the Missouri River and railroad, the 1855 Union Hotel at Lohman’s Landing in Jefferson City has stood witness to a number of important events and people in Missouri’s history. Originally called the Missouri Hotel, the current moniker was adopted upon the return of the hotel’s owner from the Civil War to reflect his military sentiments. When river traffic slowed (following arrival of the railroad) the hotel was used for storage and tenements. In the early 1900s the hotel and nearby Lohman Building were purchased for use as a factory and offices for the Tweedle Shoe Company. The state acquired both buildings in the 1960s with the intent of demolishing them for a parking lot, but concerned citizens led by Missouri Preservation’s founding member Elizabeth Rozier spearheaded a campaign to save the buildings. Both the Union Hotel and Lohman building were restored to create Jefferson Landing State Historic Site, which opened to the public in 1976. The Union Hotel became home to the Elizabeth Rozier Gallery which housed temporary exhibits on Missouri history, art and culture. Missouri State Parks utilized the upper floors for offices and since 1984, the lower floor has functioned as a passenger station for Amtrak. The building was closed in late 2019 due to structural concerns and in August of 2020 the state issued a report detailing issues and estimated construction costs. During the 2021 legislative session, local non-profit organization Historic City of Jefferson campaigned to have the Union Hotel included as part of Jefferson City’s “Capitol Complex” – this effort has not yet been successful. Historic City of Jefferson hopes that listing the Union Hotel as a Place in Peril will encourage support from members of the state legislature in 2022.
December 30, 2021: Missouri Legislature could appropriate funds for historic Jefferson City Amtrak station repairs.
3 thoughts on “Union Hotel”