Chamois (pronounced sham-oi), Missouri
Formerly known as the Stonner Meat Market, this two-story brick building in historic downtown Chamois is one of the few early structures still standing on Main Street. The building was constructed in the 1880s for William (Bill) Stonner, who opened his business in 1888, selling locally raised and freshly butchered meats. His grandson, Ralph (Jack) Stonner, Jr. began working for the family business in 1946. He continued to operate the business as Stonner Meat Market until he retired in 1984. New owners briefly took over the business but eventually, the building was converted to support Lucy’s Bar and Grill, a local gathering spot to eat, drink and socialize. Now the building sits vacant. Current owners, the Chamois Industrial Development Corporation (CIDC), had hopes for transforming the property for use as a community center but the project never materialized. The building, currently vacant, has been vandalized – bricks have been stolen, which has exacerbated deterioration. The CIDC and the Chamois Historic Preservation Commission would like to utilize the building to support a museums collection, which currently includes the Townley House Museum and Old Jail. Specific plans include highlighting the area’s farming history and African American culture. With limited resources available, it is hoped that listing the property as a Place in Peril will open the door for funding opportunities to preserve this historic building. Doing so will allow the property to remain a focal point of downtown Chamois and highlight important aspects of the town’s history.