The Louis Lohman house is one of the Capitol City’s most important residential landmarks. The 2 1/2 story modified Queen Anne brick house with Romanesque Revival influences was designed by the local architectural firm of Miller & Opel and constructed in 1893 in what was then a suburb of Jefferson City on South Jefferson Street. A 1921 fire destroyed the house’s original roofline which boasted two turrets, complicated gables, dormers, and roof cresting. A simplified early 20th century design was used for the replacement roof. The Lohman house remained in the Lohman family until 1969 when it was acquired by The Salvation Army which has used the house as its Jefferson City headquarters. Over the years, the house has suffered from deferred maintenance and insensitive alterations. The historic Lohman house now remains vacant and deteriorated, with no commitment from The Salvation Army on a re-use plan for the historic building.
Widespread community support for the preservation of the house exists. However, neither The Salvation Army management nor the Board of Directors have entertained a re-use plan. Efforts to locally designate the property have failed at the City Council level. Without The Salvation Army’s willingness to meet with the community and discuss viable plans for the re-use of the house, demolition appears likely.