Lincoln School — Vandalia
Lincoln School was built in 1928 to educate a growing population of African-American children of Vandalia. It was one of the largest African-American schools to serve a small, rural town in Missouri. Elementary and high school students were educated in the building’s four classrooms. The school also had an auditorium with seating for 131 people, a raised stage, and floor lights. Abandoned in the 1950’s when segregation ended, the building has been acquired by “the Concerned Citizens to Save Lincoln School.” The Lincoln School is the last historic school building in Vandalia. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996. The building is endangered by deferred maintenance, as the owners need funding to complete needed repairs.