Salem, Dent County
The former Salem High School, commonly known as the Old Salem Middle School, is a 22,500-square foot building that was constructed 1910-1911. Designed by prominent Missouri architect, Henry Hohenschild, it is an attractive two-story T-shaped building of solid brick construction and retains much of its historic building materials and character. Two other buildings occupy the site of the school, including a frame one and a half story gymnasium and a single story building that originally served as a janitor’s residence and home economics classroom. Both of these support buildings were constructed c.1920. Situated on a five acre parcel of land, the buildings are situated on a hill at the highest point on the lot. The Salem High School was the first public high school to be constructed in the town, and served the educational needs of Salem’s young citizens for over eighty years as high school, junior high school and middle school. The City of Salem is considering demolition of the school and associated buildings due to years of neglect and the inability to attract a viable owner. This complex has been determined eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places, which would make its rehabilitation eligible for both federal and state historic preservation tax credits. It is hoped that listing here might attract the attention of an interested developer who might utilize these incentives to renovate and repurpose this important historic high school campus.
Listed in 2018
This building was demolished in 2019.