Cave Spring School
Cave Spring School is a one-room schoolhouse located in rural Sarcoxie, MO. It was once described as “standing on a grassy knoll, overlooking the green valley owned by the Henry family for over a century.” It is constructed of bricks made by William Duncan in a kiln located at the bottom of the hill below the school.
The school started as a log building, located about a half-mile from its present location. In about 1838-1840, the school was rebuilt at its current location with walls that stood 3-bricks thick. During the civil war the walls of the school were severely damaged. In 1875 it was torn down and reconstructed with the same bricks.
Cave Spring School operated for 128 years and was officially closed in 1966 when Missouri reorganized its school system. In 1967, the Eastern Jasper County Historic Sites Association acquired the school and the small tract of land on which it sits. On October 18, 1967, the Daughters of the American Revolution dedicated it as a historic shrine.
Presently the condition of the school can be rated as poor. The roof needs urgent repairs. Bricks are disappearing as people take them for souvenirs. The porch suffers from rot and the chimney is crumbling due to disintegrating mortar. While the Eastern Jasper County Historic Sites Association has raised money to make some repairs there is still a great need for more fundraising to repair the larger issues and preserve this historic school house.
Listed in 2005
Update: This place has been SAVED! The Cave Spring School received funding through a private foundation and made repairs to its masonry, roof, and flooring. It is now considered saved and supporters will celebrate their restoration on October 6, 2007!