Check out some of the favorite historic places across Missouri sent to us by our friends and followers in honor of #PreservationMonth
O’Malley’s 1842 Irish Pub — May 29, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite is O’Malley’s 1842 Irish Pub in Weston, operated by @westonbrewingcompany! These cellars were built beneath the streets of Weston in 1842 to store lager for the Weston Brewing Company. Today they provide a unique, historic atmosphere for O’Malleys 1842 Irish Pub!
📷 from O’Malleys Facebook page
Glascok-Foley House — May 28, 2020
A #PreservationMonth favorite, the Glascock-Foley House in Lincoln County. The brick portion of the building was built in 1845, while the smaller frame and brick part of the structure dates to 1830.
Bequette Ribault House — May 27, 2020
A #PreservationMonth favorite from our Executive Director, Bill Hart! The Bequette Ribault House in Ste. Genevieve.
“Established in the early years of the 1700s, the earliest permanent European settlement in Missouri is Ste. Genevieve. This colonial outpost is home to some of the most unique French vernacular architecture in the world. A specific building type, called “poteaux-en-terre,” (post in the ground) is a type of log building that instead of following the usual practice of laying up logs vertically to build “cabin,” relies on the practice of placing vertical members directly into the ground, thereby making foundation and walls one discrete member. The Bequette Ribault House is one such building type, and three of five extant examples of this building located in the northern hemisphere are Ste. Genevieve. Early flooding of the original 18th century settlement forced the residents further from the Mississippi river, and one of the early 19th century buildings constructed on higher ground was commissioned by Jean-Baptiste Bequette and finished in 1808. Upon his son’s death, the house and adjoining property was auctioned in 1840 to a free man of color, Antoine Recole, who in short order sold it to Clarisse, a former slave. It is recorded that Clarisse was mother to who children who were born during her enslavement and these children were given the last name Ribault. Curiously, Clarisse was eventually named in the will of Jean Ribault, a former French citizen who died in 1849. Clarisse and two additional generations of Ribaults lived in the house until 1969.This historic property was recently restored by Hank and Jacque Johnson, who own the nearby Chaumette Winery. The house is open for tours and serves as the backdrop for their wine tasting room and Hospitality Center. The Center is open May-October on Saturdays from Noon to 4:00 p.m. and private tours are offered by appointment. Call (573)747-1000.”
Oliver-Leming Home — May 26, 2020
#PreservationMonth favorite from Cape Girardeau! The Oliver Leming home. Home of the Missouri State Flag, created by Marie Watkins Oliver. The house was designed by architect J. B. Legg in 1895.
Randles Court — May 24, 2020
#PreservationMonth Favorite, the Historic Randles Court in Eldon! “Randles Court, now known as Historic Randles Court, located in downtown Eldon MO, was built in the early 1930’s by Loyd and Helen Boots. It became Randles Court in 1947 when the couple divorced and Helen took her maiden name. The property changed hands a few times throughout the 60’s & 70’s until Chester & Donna Presta purchased it in the late 70’s.
Donna ran the motel until her death in 2011. In 2017 Donna’s nephew and his wife, Jeremy & Jennifer Hart, purchased the property and have been working to restore the rooms to the 1930’s era. At this time, 6 of the 15 rooms have been restored and are available for nightly rentals. Also worth mentioning, the neon sign you see in the picture was demolished in a 2019 tornado, but was miraculously able to be restored. “
Flash Cube Building — May 23, 2020
Something a bit different, but no less important for #PreservationMonth from our board member, Rachel Nugent. The Flashcube Building in Kansas City!
📸 Brad Finch @f_stop_com “HOK’s 1974 Late-Modern glass container building designed for Commerce Bank hovers above the ground and its dark brick base at the north end of the downtown Kansas City. The continuous mirrored glass façade reflects the buildings, the trees, and the clouds, effortlessly challenging our perception of how a building should interact with its surroundings. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as the Executive Plaza Office Building in 2017.
Superior Spring Pagoda — May 22, 2020
#Preservation month favorite from Sonya Morgan in Excelsior Springs — The Superior Spring pagoda.
“In 1901, developments were occuring in the east portion Excelsior Springs, which would later become a part of the Fishing River Parkway system and today is known as East Valley Park and Isley Woods. A pagoda was built by the J.C. Isley family for the Superior Spring. At this time the land was a beautiful park by the name of Reed Park. The original structure was completely made of wooden planks.
In 1912, the wooden framed pagoda was replaced by a stone pagoda. In the early 1950s, the Superior pagoda was altered. It was situated on top of a two story stone and concrete well enclosure, reached by walking across a reinforced concrete walkway. The natural stone texture and concrete well enclosure is circular and has a cone-shaped wood shingle roof supported by four octagon shaped piers. The pump is located in the center of the floor and the entrance is flanked by two gates. On May 10, 1982, the Superior Well and Pagoda was placed on the local landmarks register, it being the last remaining original spring pagoda in town. Photo by Kevin Morgan Photography”
Daniel Boone Home Site — May 21, 2020
A #PreservationMonth favorite from Barney Combs: The Historic Daniel Boone Home site
“The Historic Boone Home is nestled upon the rolling hills of wine country and overlooks the Femme Osage Valley in St. Charles County, MO. This beautiful setting represents life in the early nineteenth century and brings to life Daniel Boone’s legacy. Within the thick limestone walls, stories of a daring man offer a glimpse into family matters, risky adventures and hard-fought battles.
In April 2016, The Historic Daniel Boone Home and surrounding property in Defiance was gifted to the people of St. Charles County by Lindenwood University. The home and property now is called The Historic Daniel Boone Home at Lindenwood Park.
The nearly 300 acre site includes The Historic Daniel Boone Home and an adjoining area containing many significant historic buildings from around the area. St. Charles County continues to operate the Boone Home and surrounding historic site as a historic interpretive museum. More than a dozen historic buildings at the site originated from within 50 miles of the property. Theses historic structures include the Squire Boone Home, The Zephaniah Sappington Home, The Flanders Callaway Home, The Newton Howell Home, The Old Peace Chapel and many others that offer a peek into life on the Missouri frontier.”
Bridges in Ozark National Scenic Riverways — May 20, 2020
From our friend Mike Meinkoth:”During #PreservationMonth I find myself looking backward and forward on one of my favorite historic places in Missouri: Route 19 and the bridges in the Ozark National Scenic Riverways in Shannon County. The picture is a LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) scan of the former Sinking Creek Bridge on Route 19 in Shannon County. The bridge was demolished and replaced after failed efforts by the Missouri Department of Transportation to convert it into a pedestrian/trail facility and turnover ownership to either the National Park Service or the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, which own parks bordering the bridge.
The Sinking Creek Bridge is one of three bridges in the Three Bridges Historic District(Sinking Creek, Current River and Round Spring/Spring Valley). The Sinking Creek Bridge (H0079) was a 1925, open-spandrel concrete arch bridge with three arch spans. The Current River Bridge (G0804) is a 1924 closed spandrel concrete arch bridge with three main arch spans,. The Spring Valley (or Round Spring) Bridge (J0420) is a 1930, open-spandrel concrete arch with a main span.
The Three Bridges Historic District is eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places for local significance in transportation, recreation and engineering from 1925-1964. Route 19 through Shannon County north of Eminence was constructed in the mid-1920s to improve transportation in the region and to provide access to Round Spring State Park. The Highway Commission instructed that the road be designed to fit into the natural landscape with aesthetic considerations to provide vistas of the bridges and the Current River and to ensure that the bridges were aesthetically pleasing.
The remaining two bridges in the in the Three Bridge Historic District (Current River and Spring Valley bridges) will be part of an engineering/environmental study to determine if they can be rehabilitated or need to be replaced to meet current safety standards. Interested members of the public should add their voices to this study.”
Smith Spring Water Station — May 19, 2020
This is the Smith Spring Water Station near Aurora, MO. This #PreservationMonth favorite served the Butterfield Stage Line Overland Mail from 1858 to 1961. The marker reads:”Smith Spring Water Station 1858
Butterfield Stage Line Overland Mail
Erected by Drywood Threshers Sheldon, MO”
Missouri Theater — May 18, 2020
The Missouri Theater in St. Joseph, MO is another #PreservationMonth favorite. Sent in by Ron Auxier, one of the architects behind the building’s restoration. The theater opened in June 1927 and could seat 1,200 people. The City of St. Joseph now owns the building and uses it as a community performing arts center. In 2019, Missouri Preservation used the Missouri Theater for our conference keynote address!
Stuart Cabin — May 17, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite place is the Stuart Cabin near Wildwood, MO. The cabin was built c. 1832 by homesteader Samuel Stuart on 80 acres of land just west of Clarkson Valley. Stuart made several additions to the cabin in order to accommodate his family of 9 children. A fire in the 1960’s destroyed all but the original structure shown here.
Old Pond School — May 16, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite comes from the City of Wildwood Historic Preservation Commission: Old Pond School
17123 Manchester Road
Constructed circa 1914
The Pond School, or Old Pond School, has a nearly square footprint. Its roof is gabled front to back, with prominent cross gables facing left and right. The front door is at the left bay of the three-bay façade. The exterior is stucco over a hollow clay tile structure. One of the most important character-defining features of the school is the bank of north-facing windows at the single classroom (at the rear elevation). The building is very thoroughly described in the National Register documentation (2012). The Pond School is one of the finest examples of a one-teacher schoolhouse in St. Louis County. Its significance to the community and as an example of an architectural type are documented in the National Register nomination.
The Old Pond School is owned by the City of Wildwood and was restored in 2001. Behind the school is a small park, with a playground and rentable pavilion.
Houston House — May 15, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite is the Houston House in Newburg, MO and was sent in by our friend, Ryan Reed. “Founded by the St. Louis-San Francisco (Frisco) railroad in 1883-84, Newburg served as the major refueling point between St. Louis and Springfield. The first structures to be erected at Newburg for the purposes of the railroad were the Frisco roundhouse and the “railroad hotel and eating house,” known today as the Houston House. Both of these structures opened for business on Jan. 1, 1884.
Construction of the three story frame building began in 1883 by William H. Harris, who had previously operated a hotel and restaurant in Dixon. After the death of Harris, his daughter, Martha Elizabeth “Matt” Houston took over the operations of the building. It is at this time that the building took the name associated with William Harris’s daughter. For three generations the building not only serviced the railroad clientele but also served as the Harris family home. Today, the Houston House still serves lunch.
On a side note, the Houston House has a personal connection. My great grandparents, Lee Gavisk and Muriel Lane, met here while they were employed at the restaurant as teenagers. Without the Houston House, I might not be here. “
Harris-Kemper Neighborhood — May 14, 2020
A #PreservationMonth favorite from Nikki Jones Poirier: The Harris Kemper Neighborhood in St. Joseph, MO!”If you are interested in historic architecture, the Harris Kemper Neighborhood in St. Joseph, MO is a must-see! This neighborhood is chock full of historic homes from the Victorian era, complete with ornate masonry, detailed woodwork, stained glass, towering turrets, grand staircases, and all the unique architecture and grandeur of the period. The association even hosts a tour each fall to highlight the history and “hauntings” of these magnificent homes!”
Trail of Tears — May 13, 2020
#PreservationMonth favorite from our Board Member, Ruth Keenoy. “Trail of Tears – just off I-44 near Jerome/Newburg on Route 66 – is a sculpture garden created more than 50 years ago by original owner, Larry Baggett. The site features a sweat lodge and life-sized sculptures depicting Baggett’s interpretation of the Trail of Tears, which extends through the property. The property is currently undergoing restoration by its current owner, Marie Ryberg, and is open to the public on weekends.”
Village of Arrow Rock — May 12, 2020
The Village of Arrow Rock, Missouri is another #PreservationMonth favorite! Founded 1829. Home to three 19th century Missouri Governors as well as famed artist, George Caleb Bingham. The restoration of the Huston Tavern in 1923 is considered the first act of historic preservation in the state. The entire town was listed as a National Historic Landmark in 1963.
Emmaus Homes — May 11, 2020
A #PreservationMonth favorite from our friends with the Missouri Germans Consortium — The Emmaus Homes complex in Marthasville, Missouri.
The Emmaus Homes Complex has been listed for the past few years as a Missouri Historic Place in Peril. The five original buildings of the campus were completed in 1859 as a seminary for the German Evangelical Church, four of these buildings still remain. In 1893 it became known as the Emmaus Asylum for Epileptics and Feeble Minded, and in more recent years simply as the Emmaus Homes.
With the approach in care changing for the handicapped and developmentally disabled, Emmaus Homes has made the shift from institutional settings to smaller group homes. The Emmaus campus has been listed for sale and it is hoped it will be purchased by a preservation-minded buyer.
Former St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church — May 10, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite is the former St. Augustine Roman Catholic Church now owned by @projectaugustine, a non-profit organization focused on revitalizing Old North St. Louis through food, art and community. The 1896 German Catholic church was designed by German trained St. Louis architect Louis Wessbecher. The Tudor Gothic style rectory next door was added in 1928. In 1982, with the decline of North St. Louis, St. Augustine closed its doors. The building was purchased by Christ Baptist Church with plans of restoration but has since fallen into a state of severe neglect. Stabilization and roof repairs are needed before major restoration work can begin on the building. Find out how you can help this beautiful structure by visiting @projectaugustine or projectaugustine.org
Elijah Thomas Webb Home — May 9, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite is the Elijah Thomas Webb home in Webb City, c. 1891. Sent in by Don Freeman. …
Elijah Thomas Webb was the son of city founder John Webb. The Webb family made their money on lead they discovered on their property. By the time he built his home c. 1891, Elijah was President of the Webb City Bank, part owner of the Webb City Lumber Company, and involved in many other local business ventures.
The Elijah Thomas Webb home remains largely un-altered and still is a remarkable example of the Queen Anne style.
Missouri Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot — May 8, 2020
From our friends with the City of Warrensburg HPC —”Constructed in 1890, this one-story railroad depot was constructed to replace the 1864 wooden depot when it burned in 1889. The Missouri Pacific Railroad passenger depot was constructed with “blue” sandstone from a local quarry, had a ticket office, waiting rooms, and a baggage room. When the new 1890 depot was constructed, it was one of the many highlighted achievements of Warrensburg’s evolution from a railroad stop to a thriving agricultural community and county seat….May is National Preservation Month, and to celebrate, the Warrensburg Historic Preservation Commission publishes the Notable Structures and Preservation Opportunities Booklet each year. Look for a new building each week during the month of May and June and enjoy learning about Warrensburg’s heritage! The booklet recognizes buildings, structures, and sites that contribute to Warrensburg’s history and architectural legacy. To see the full booklet, please visit the Historic Preservation Commission webpage.”
St. Ignatius of Loyola School — May 7, 2020
#PreservationMonth A favorite historic place in Marthasville, Missouri.
“St. Ignatius of Loyola School started in the late 1800s in a one-room schoolhouse. In 1914, a second school building was erected in its place and remains in operation today. This building has been converted over the years, but it started with two classrooms, a chapel, an auditorium, and a basement cafeteria.”
Rushville, MO — May 6, 2020
Another #PreservationMonth Missouri Favorite.”My home town of Rushville Missouri. Little is known about the the town’s history but thanks to Newpapers.com and other sources the colorful history can be pieced back together….The John Vanhoozer House was built in 1904 over a 7 month span. The house has a history of love, heartbreak, scandal, and murder. John Vanhoozer was for quite some time the postmaster and owner of the leading mercantile store here in Rushville and in 1904 built a modern home for his family of five. In 1909 his daughter was married at the family home. In 1912 John and his family moved to St. Joseph where he would pass away three years later. His son David put the family in the spotlight in one of the biggest town scandals in 1916 when he died during a car crash near Lake Contrary widowing his wife of two months. The scandal of the story is that David was not alone in the car but accompanied by two young women that were spared from the wreck, they unaware of his marriage until they reported the accident. Later in 1922 John’s widow Mary would return to the house along with her second husband William Harvey, but in 1927 Mary would file for divorce and win the house in the lawsuit. The Murder that took place here, was one of the first events that was recorded at this location. In the spring of 1905 John would come home from work to find a Cow grazing in his front lawn which is a very steep hill. wanting to drive the cow out of his lawn John picked up a rock and threw it at the cow striking it in the back of the head. The cow fell over and proceeded to roll down the hill and over the small stone retaining wall and into the street below. Thinking that he had only dazed the cow and it would run off in a bit John went inside. However shortly after John came back out to find the cow still laying in the road, dead.”
Morrison Observatory — May 5, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite is the Morrison Observatory in Fayette. The Observatory was built in the nearby town of Glasgow in 1875 and moved to Fayette in 1935. Below is a link to an interesting article from Rural Missouri magazine on the Observatory.
Old Appleton Bridge — May 4, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite place comes from our board member, James Baughn. This is the Old Appleton Bridge in Cape Girardeau & Perry Counties.”This picturesque iron bridge was destroyed by a flash flood in 1982, leaving behind a pile of twisted girders. It took over two decades, but local residents were able to raise enough money from donations and grants to bring the bridge back to life. The main span, newly painted bright red, was hoisted into place in 2005 on piers that were raised to accommodate future floods. A majority of the original ironwork from 1879 was saved and reused, making this a remarkable historic bridge preservation success story.”
Greer Mill — May 3, 2020
This #PreservationMonth favorite historic place comes from former Missouri Preservation Board member, Dr. Bonnie Stepenoff.
“Greer Mill on Highway 19 in Oregon County is one of my favorite historic places. My colleague George Suggs wrote a concise and lovely history of it, illustrated with a watercolor drawing by Jake Wells, in Water Mills of the Missouri Ozarks (University of Oklahoma Press, 1989). By the 1980s, the mill, which opened in 1899, had been out of business for half a century. Tourists continued to visit the site to admire the mill and the spectacular landscape around Greer Spring. For many years, Louis E. Dennig of St. Louis and his descendants owned and carefully preserved that landscape. Their caretaker Norma Krause kept a stern, watchful eye on sight-seers, who were warned not to litter, camp, light fires, or float on the clear stream that flowed from the spring to the Eleven Point River. In the late 1980s conservationist Leo A. Drey acquired the property and eventually transferred it to the federal government as part of Mark Twain National Forest.”
Beiciunas-Price Farm — May 2, 2020
We’re kicking off #PreservationMonth with our administrator’s favorite historic place. Now owned by her family, this 100 year old farm house was originally owned by Lithuanian immigrant, Anton Beiciunas. His son Peter, veteran of both World Wars, took over the farm after retiring from the military in 1946. Mr. Beiciunas’ farm was known all across Reynolds County and the surrounding area for selling strawberries.
Riley wants to apologize for the replacement windows in the house — which were installed before she was old enough to have a say in the importance of historic windows!
May 1, 2020
Do you have a favorite historic place in Missouri? Send us a photo and we’ll share it! Help us recognize the importance of preservation as well as all of the wonderful historic resources the Show-Me state has to offer!